Thursday, May 14, 2009

What are we prepared to believe

I came home last night. Up the stairs and found the door to the main body of the house had been closed and a box behind it hindered opening it fully. I thought my daughter must have left it there. It contained software and various computer stuff. I was surprised to learn that she had not touched it yet she had been home the whole time. It remains a mystery as to how this largish box had moved to the position it did.

Several months ago we found our back door key, which is the old substantial mortise type has broken whilst sitting in the back door. I replaced it with a new key and the very next week the same thing happened.

Our conclusion having thought about it is that we may have a mischievous spook in our house. Yeah right! I don't believe it for a minute- of course. But due to lack of evidence to the contrary- well- I do entertain the slightest feeling that just maybe I may be wrong.

I told my very Earthed girlfriend about it and she puts it down to one of us ( me or my daughter) being off in artists land and not even registering moving the box or breaking the keys. We here however, don't think this is the case. So we have a deadlock. Mysterywise it's a beauty.

Then as I was driving home tonight from my girlfriends place I began to think about her belief that we don't have a ghost and my belief that ghosts don't exist. I believe in a, or more specifically the, Creator and my girlfriend is Christian. How is it then that we are quite able to believe in these supernatural ideas and all the associated over the top things which go along with that yet we can't go with the mischievous ghost in the home thing?

The answer is:

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm! And things that make you go Hmmmmmmmmm! More specifically it's to do with selective belief structures. We believe what we wish and that's all there is to it. No logic- no consistency- just go with what we go with.

No comments: