Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Clockwork Universe

I have been really captivated by illustrating clocks of recent. There is something really enjoyable about those gears meshing together and the way they all come together to capture time. I don't know if there is an artwork to come in the end but I spend hours just tracing mechanisms and putting gears together in interesting ways. Maybe I have found something new to do.

As I work away in my illustration I think of stuff. And I jot down words and sentences that come into mind as I go. This one jumped in- Clockwork Universe. I thought it would make an interesting search. And there it was on Wiki. Apparently it was a theory by none other than the smartest man ever born Isaac Newton. Wow! I am in the big league now.

This from Wiki:

A "clockwork universe" can be thought of as being a clock wound up by God and ticking along, as a perfect machine, with its gears governed by the laws of physics.

What sets this theory apart from others is the idea that God's only contribution to the universe was to set everything in motion, and from there the laws of science took hold and have governed every sequence of events since that time. This idea was very popular during the Enlightenment, when scientists realized that Newton's laws of motion, including the law of universal gravitation, could explain the behavior of the solar system.

A notable exclusion from this theory though is free will, since all things have already been set in motion and are just parts of a predictable machine. Newton feared that this notion of "everything is predetermined" would lead to atheism.

No wonder I feel so wound up!!!!

No comments: