Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Resisting an opinion

What's the most difficult thing a man can do? The answer is resistance to having an opinion. Just look at the mess I have created here; post after post of my opinion. All of it is worthless. Individually that is. But, when it is collectively assessed, opinion is the fabric of all society.In fact, dare I say, it is society. Society is a collective of opinion.

What exactly is opinion?

This from dictionary.com:

o·pin·ion

[uh-pin-yuhn] Show IPA
–noun
1.
a belief or judgment that rests on grounds insufficient to produce complete certainty.
2.
a personal view, attitude, or appraisal.
3.
the formal expression of a professional judgment: to ask for a second medical opinion.
4.
Law. the formal statement by a judge or court of the reasoning and the principles of law used in reaching a decision of a case.
5.
a judgment or estimate of a person or thing with respect to character, merit, etc.: to forfeit someone's good opinion.
6.
a favorable estimate; esteem: I haven't much of an opinion of him.

But bloody hell-------- don't we fight for our opinions though? We go into battle over them----literally. 

And we read other people's opinions here on the internet and in the media. We hang on every word when some mouthy person utters their opinion. Particularly those ones who we think, in our opinion, are worth listening to or we are told are worth listening to by someone else in their opinion.
But the bottom line is-

- here it comes-- 

opinions are just theories.

They are not to be seen as facts or truths.  They are ad hoc. Here one moment to answer a particular situation then gone at the next situation. We all live with opinion though. Rather than truth and fact we all live with opinion. This is because none of us have the time to assess anything long enough to place it in the truth or fact category and we are constantly bombarded by the opinions of others.

So that's it people. My opinion about opinion. I sprout it here every day. No-one reads it. But I still sprout it. It gets it off my chest and maybe onto someone else's. Or, maybe not. I care not.

All I know is those who know me know me for my opinions. I am famous for them. But they ain't worth shit. So those people who know me for my opinions only know the worthless side of me. This is the one that does the damage. This is the one that hurts people. This is the opinion. It is a damaging and false truth and must be seen for what it is if we are to survive all this living business in any kind of peaceful way.
Well there it is. I'm right in my opinion in this. Aren't I?
God we are just hot air. It's all meaningless. So am I.
Now back to the dishes..................................

No comments: