Monday, April 12, 2010

Come the little children

As any reader here will attest, I am a hard lined thinker. So how is it I have been caught up going to one of these modern church-type things? You know the ones; where a bunch of people gather in, what they call, a congregation and proceed to tap their feet along to the stains of Jesus-is-ace types of songs which are pumped out more like a rock concert than appropriate for the pious place it professes to be. Well my beautiful girlfriend is in to it that's why I go really. It's not my cup-of-tea really but I go and I sorta enjoy it--- sorta---- and probably not in the way expected by those who follow the religion. You see , I love the comedy in it. It is a real life comedy. I have trouble holding a straight face while I'm there.

. You see I grew out of this type of thing; probably as soon as I left that horrible Catholic boys school my parents insisted sending me to. I guess I was over it really a bit earlier like when one of those holy brothers put his hand down the front of my pants. Yeah. And when these blokes weren't doing that fine sorta thing then they were thrashing us with leather straps on cold winter's days. Yep that would do it eh? For me it was the great escape from bullshit and bad men. No more constricted thinking--- the word in my mind was not God it was freedom and it was heralded by the angels and trumpets blowing in my mind- Heaven awaited----out there in the real world- not in the horror filled environment called religion. I was a happy vapour trail I tell ya. But somehow at this later stage of my life now, I have been dragged back into the noisy mire of a congregation. And it has become much more noisy than those solemn masses I attended back in the 50' and 60'. I swear it's more like a rock concert/ talk show early on a Sunday morning than a church. The exception is, the music is really really bad as is the musicianship and the talk show is as banal as you get on any day time TV. And there are some clearly more disturbed individuals their than your humble self which is always a bonus

Having said all that you would think that I would find it all fairly horrible to be amongst. But it isn't. How weird is that? It feels entertaining. It's so cringe worthy but it's like junk food, it's made of bad stuff but tastes good. The bad stuff is the myths it is based on being pushed on the damaged or mentally deficient as historical facts but the good taste is in being with your fellow man and woman in a celebration of something bigger than us- and it tastes good. Yep it's cringe worthy, it's childish it's banal, it's out and out silly and stuff that is said takes itself way too seriously but it still feels good.

I guess this would be because the world is caught on the internet- people are alone in their world away from the congregation. The congregation is all that is left where strangers come together in mass and celebrate something. Who cares what it is? If you don't go to one of these then you are caught going to shopping malls to do the same thing. Now that's just plain weird. They are soul-less.

No comments: